This beautiful church is the oldest building in Budapest. The present structure still contains remnants of a church built on the site at the time of St. Stephen (9th century), a 12th-century Romanesque church (the apse and outer walls), and has a baroque exterior, rebuilt after a fire in 1723.
During the Turkish occupation of the 16th century, it was used as a mosque, and the prayer niche (mihrab) facing toward Mecca in the eastern wall is still intact with its Arabic writing.
Admission is free, and we bought pamphlets in English from a man inside for 250 F (US$1). Outside on the church are the remains of the Roman military camp, Contra Aquincum.