Paso Robles Journals

The Pass of Oaks

Best of IgoUgo

A travel journal to Paso Robles by IWW639

Quote: I have lived near and worked in Paso Robles for years. It is a charming and historical city that also boasts a thriving wine industry.

The Pass of Oaks

I always enjoyed going to the Mid-State fair, held every summer at the fairgrounds.
There are dozens of wineries in the area, and all of them want you to taste their wares, usually free of charge.

Don't even try to pronounce Paso Robles with a Spanish accent, say 'Pass-o Row-bils' and you won't get a second look.

Driving is the best way to get around since the area I'm talking about is the better part of the North San Luis Obispo County and not just Paso Robles.

Motel 6

Hotel

I know, what's so great about a Motel 6, you ask? Nothing, but it is the best you'll get for the price. I stayed here during the summer when I was working 12 hour days nearby. The 1 hour drive from my house made for really long days so I called around. The price is comperable to other Motels in town, and you know what you are getting.
It is close to the freeway, but sheltered from the noise. It is also close to a number of fast food places and the fairgrounds.
Pool.

Motel 6
1134 Black Oak Drive
Paso Robles, California 93446

F Mclintocks Saloon

Restaurant | "F. McLintocks"

This is the Paso branch of the South County legend. The steaks are cooked to country perfection, just how you like it. The bar serves drinks while you wait for a table. They also have a very good kids menu.

F Mclintocks Saloon
1234 Park Road
Paso Robles, California 93446

Good Ole Burgers

Whenever I work in Paso I have to stop in for a Good Ole Burger, if I can't get the boss to buy for everyone. They are simple and, as the name says, good. It may take a while for your order to come up but be patient, it's worth the wait. They also have excellent onion rings. In-n-Out eat your heart out.

Good Ole Burgers

Paso Robles, California

I camped here as a kid, the campgrounds are hot in the summer due to the lack of good shade. The 5,500 acre lake is cold, but good for jet skiing, windsurfing, and waterskiing. Fishing is also good year round.
Hiking is possible on the trails thru the hills and boat rentals are available at the marina.

Lake San Antonio Recreation Area
2610 San Antonio Road
Paso Robles, California 93426

Lake Nacimiento

This is the party lake. All of the jet skiers and water skiers and rowdies compete with the families for a chunk of water to play in on summer weekends. Many people own homes near the lake for weekend getaways.

Lake Nacimiento

Paso Robles

California Mid-State Fair

Attraction | "The California Mid-State Fair"

People come from all over the state to see the big name acts (mostly country) and the rodeo. The fairgrounds are really big, and it gets filled to capacity. This is what a fair is supposed to be like. In July and August, the hottest months of the year, the city opens its doors to thousands of guests. The entire city is filled and rooms in motels are booked well in advance. When I was sixteen I went with some friends. We were all hopped up on cappucinos and candy. My best friend, looking a bit rough, caught the attention of the patroling sheriff in the fair. They were sure that we were all on cocaine and especially my best friend. They took him away for more testing while I...Read More

California Mid-State Fair
2198 Riverside Avenue
Paso Robles, California 93447

Wine Tasting

There are dozens of wineries that have tasting rooms along this stretch of hiway. My favorite is Eberle Winery, they are happy to give free tours of thier storage caves.
Don't worry about whether or not you know your wines, these wineries are not snooty for the most part and will help you taste a number of their wines befor they give you the boot.
I strongly reccomend picking a designated driver or renting a limo and making a party out of it. Highway 46 is a very dangerous road with fatal wrecks all the time. It is also patroled heavily by the CHP.

Wine Tasting