Omaha Journals

Aksarben Aquarium & Schramm Park

A travel journal to Omaha by Casual Tourist

Aksarben Aquarium Photo, Omaha, Nebraska More Photos
Quote: Schramm Park and Aksarben Aquarium sit beside the Platte River in Nebraska, not too far from Gretna, just outside of Omaha. A great place to spend a day or a weekend.

Aksarben Aquarium & Schramm Park

My husband and I thoroughly enjoy visiting the aquarium and the nearby fish hatchery and then strolling through the wooded hills of the park.

Old Country Buffet

We would frequently eat at the Old Country Buffet when we visited the Aksarben Aquarium or Schramm Park. The food was always superb and the variety supplied by the buffet more than adequate. My husband always prefers to partake of the freshly sliced roast beef and ham, along with a hearty helping of mashed potatoes and gravy. Myself, I prefer to sample a variety of items. And of course, the dessert bar was terrific.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on September 6, 2000

Old Country Buffet
14525 W. Center Road
Omaha, Nebraska 68144

Aksarben Aquarium

Aksarben Aquarium Photo, Omaha, Nebraska
This aquarium is rather small as aquariums go, but well worth a visit. The fish featured are those mainly found in the Platte and Missouri Rivers, which both flow nearby.

Besides fish, the aquarium also serves as a museum for wildlife and area photos. One of the rooms contained taxidermied birds, fish, and other wildlife.

Depending on the time spent lingering at each exhibit, a trip through the aquarium usually ranges from one to two hours.
Just outside Schramm Park is a bluff with exposed limestone, evidence of a one-time inland sea. Being a fossil lover, my husband and I would often stop at this bluff and collect rocks replete with samples of ancient sea creatures. Clam and scallop shaped fossils are plentiful in this area.

Schramm Park

Schramm Park Photo, Omaha, Nebraska
Hilly and wooded, Schramm Park overlooks the Platte River. It is a place for camping, hiking or simply having a leisurely picnic. Deer can often be seen in the park from the hiking trails.

There is a play area with swings and other playground equipment for the young ones.

My favorite spot for having a picnic was at the top of a long hill in a shelter that overlooked the Platte River. I loved to sit and listen to the rustle of the wind in the trees while gazing out upon the wide, peaceful river.

The Platte River at Schramm

Schramm Park Photo, Omaha, Nebraska
Just off the road leading to Schramm Park is the Platte River. We often would stop beside the river, climb down the bank and sit among the exposed tree roots.

My husband loves sitting by the water, while I love to explore and so both of our whims are satisfied when we visit Schramm. I collect shells for making jewelry and there is an abundance of small snail-type shells beside the river at this point.