Paris Journals

My Trip To Paris

A July 2000 trip to Paris by eros

Langeais Photo, Paris, France More Photos
Quote: My worries about making ground travel connections and communicating 'en Francais'" almost convinced me to cancel my trip but the worries were for naught. All rumors of French rudeness, sidewalks strewn with doggy-doo and bad food were unfounded as well.

My Trip To Paris

The Gite. Photo, Paris, France
My hotel in Paris, called Hotel de Palais Bourbon, was an immaculate old family-run place with the smallest elevator imaginable. The doyen of the family was a stooped old woman with white stringy hair. Our guide, Jack Saprunoff, wearing a bicycle helmet so I could pick him out of the crowd, met me in Tours. Jack teaches school in Comox and has been vacationing in France since 1984, leading tours there these past five years. His wife Shelagh owns Traveller's Tale in Courtenay, and she was waiting for us at the farmhouse, called a gite. We would stay at the gite in the Loire Valley for one week, cycling out in different directions from there. The organization called 'Gites de France'" r...Read More

Palais Bourbon

Hotel | "Hotel de Palais Bourbon"

The room we stayed in was quite spacious and cozy - we had a king sized bed in one room and a standard double bed in the other room. Mark and I played a game of "rock paper scissors", and I won so I got the king size, to which I had the on-suite and a balcony overlooking the farmland.

Mark's room had, as I said, a double bed and a beautiful hot tub.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on December 9, 2002

Palais Bourbon
49, rue de Bourgogne
Paris, France 75007
33 1 44 11 30 70

Paris Myths

Story/Tip

The first myth about Paris to crumble was the one about doggy-doo. Folks, I'll always call "Men in Green" who swept the dog poo into the gutter with their green bristled brooms.

Langeais

Langeais Photo, Paris, France
The next day we pedaled along the Loire River to Langeais to see the first of many chateaus, but the chocolaterie outside the chateau caught my eye and I spent as much time inside admiring the goodies as I spent touring the chateau.

Sleeping Beauty

Sleeping Beauty Castle Photo, Paris, France
On the way home from Langeais we stopped to see the castle which inspired the famous story of Sleeping Beauty. Apparently the author of that famous story stayed here for a period of time.

Dogs in France

Dogs In France Photo, Paris, France
Dogs are everywhere in France, but on the whole they are much better behaved than dogs here. Often small dogs would be carried in the arms of their owners during a tour of a chateau or museum. The dogs in this next photo caught my eye after I toured the Chinon ruins where Joan of Arc first met with the Dauphin to convince him he should be king once again. Joan picked him out, though he was disguised as a courtier, and it was intuitive powers such as these which later caused her to be branded a witch and burned at the stake.
Market day in Loches Photo, Paris, France
The next day was Market day in Loches, and we were each given an assignment to purchase a part of the evening meal. The market was large and I enjoyed the tremendous "joie de vivre" of the men who sold their products. This sausage maker even offered taste samples to the dogs passing by.

That evening we cooked a lovely meal and sat out till eleven in the courtyard of the gite. No mossies there. It was warm and light till ten pm and the evening sky was lovely.

drawing Photo, Paris, France
The next day we cycled past vineyards to Crissay-sur-Manse, one of the most beautiful villages in France. On the way Jack had us pose in a field of sunflowers: In the auberge at Crissay, a drawing that I would have loved to buy caught my eye. Alas, it was not for sale.
chateau Photo, Paris, France
The next day we cycled to Azay-le Rideau via the beautiful mixed deciduous forest lands. The chateau there was never a fortress, but it features turrets, a moat, and even a sentry walk, just to show the importance of its owner. The walls inside were covered with intricately patterned linen fabric.

Lunch on the farm

Story/Tip

Gastronomic adventures were scheduled later that day, as we had lunch 'on the farm', under umbrellas much like the ones in this photo. We were served in the courtyard of an actual farm, but the food was anything but homey. One main course featured four small potatoes as a base, shredded cooked carrot on top of them, and a thick slice of pork with a sauce to die for on top. The desserts were a treat for the eyes as well as the palate. Once the seats are filled all others are turned away, as the expectation is that diners will spend three hours or more having their meal. What we would call an appetizer they call the entrée, our entrée is what they call the plat. It is considered gauche to ...Read More

Leonardo De Vinci

Amboise Photo, Paris, France
Though cyclists were plentiful, French drivers gave us a wide berth and never honked their horns. Rarely do French cyclists wear a helmet but by law their bikes must have a bell so that they can ring to warn pedestrians of their presence. We rode on sideroads with little traffic other than the odd tractor. All were paved, but they were only five feet wide, not even wide enough for two small French cars to meet. Temperatures were ideal for cycling, about 24 to 28 degrees Celsius most days. After we left the gite for the last time we traveled by car to Amboise, where Leonardo da Vinci spent the last three years of his life. Our hotel there was at the foot of this chateau. The visit to...Read More