Milan Journals

Milan For Architecture

A June 1998 trip to Milan by eros

Cathedral Duomo Photo, Milan, Italy More Photos
Quote: While in Milan I visited the Cathedral (or "Duomo"), it is the third-largest in the world and the nicest stained glass I have seen outside of Saint Chapelle in Paris.

Milan For Architecture

Visiting Cathedral Duomo and La Scala Opera House. Also shopping.

Bring a camera with you as you will see why it has some of the most beautiful architecture in the world. Food is cheap and very appetising. I love pizza and there is nothing better than a traditional style pizza with mouth watering toppings on top.

Public Transportation is fast, cheep and very punctual. Milan has a tram system, bus, & taxi. I personally used taxi and busses as I was staying a few miles outside the city. I was fortunate to be staying on a bus route straight into the city center. You can purchace a day pass or a week pass very cheaply.

Cathedral Duomo

Story/Tip

Cathedral Duomo Photo, Milan, Italy
While in Milan I visited the Cathedral (or "Duomo"). It is the third-largest in the world, and is fascinating for two reasons. First, the spired roof is open to tourists, offering a great view of Milan. Second, the stained glass windows inside are the nicest I have seen outside of Saint Chapelle in Paris.

La Scala Opera House

Story/Tip

La Scala Opera House Photo, Milan, Italy
The most famous opera house in the world, according to the flier I kept as a souviner, La Scala was built by Giuseppe Piermarini between 1776 and 1778. The opera house stands upon the ruins of the old church of Santa Maria della Scala, its namesake. Circled by greenery in Piazza Scala, a monument to Leonardo da Vinci provides the perfect backdrop for La Scala’s neoclassical architecture. La Scala Opera House is beautiful. I didn't see a live performance just a young opera singer practicing for a show. The whole experience was set in an ancient time. The song of this young opera singer flowed through the building. The song was in Italian so I didn't understand the words but I could feel the emo...Read More
I've seen some pretty decent crowds in london, though with those crowds everyone is moving in like a sea of people, everyone going in the same direction. In Milan, there were less people, though they were going in all different directions. Finding which track we were supposed to get onto was also a bit of fun. Luckily the guy that sold us the ticket understood English. The ticket machine didn't want to take our tickets, so we just walked through an open gate. Once on the metro it is a very fast wat to get around and we used it a lot.