Rome Journals

3 traditional "trattorie" in the City of Lights

A June 2000 trip to Rome by Venezia

Quote: I was working in Rome this summer for a month and this gave me the opportunity to discover sections of Rome that I have never been to--Trastevere, the Ghetto and behind the Chiesa Nuova.

3 traditional "trattorie" in the City of Lights

In each section, I found--thanks to the help of very friendly Romans--a neighborhood joint where I was the only English speaker. To me, The fun of Rome is that behind every corner there lies a hidden column, arch, aquaduct. Each of these areas are chock-a-block full of fun stuff to discover and how nice it is to eat in a place that feels as if you are the only tourist to find it.Quick Tips: For my tours, I used two guide books--Key to Rome by Vreeland (2000), a new beautiful, illustrated guide book and Augustus Hare's 1893 guidebook called Walking Tours of Rome. It was hysterical to go from one to the other and read how Rome has changed. I thoroughly suggest you do the same. It taught me...Read More

Da Enzo

I was trying to get into a Bramante cloister which was shut when a women appeared from nowhere with a key. After I had gazed wonderously at the amazing space, I asked her where I could eat and she pointed me in the direction of DA ENZO. Ask an Italian and he/she will know!

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on September 1, 2000

Da Enzo
Via dei Vascellari, 29

Da Sergio

A friend of mine who was living in Rome introduced me to the fabulous Pasta alla Carbonara here. She swears Da Sergio serves up the best of this 19th Century Roman speciality--pasta with eggs, bacon and butter. It is located in a narrow street away from the over-run touristy piazza Campo De' Fiori. Eat in peace and then go join the fun!

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on September 5, 2000

Da Sergio
Vicolo Delle Grotte, 27 Campo De' Fiori
06 686 4293

Da Alfredo ed Ada

The best of the three restaurants and the most Italian!!! You could walk right by this restaurant on your way from Castel Sant'Angelo to Piazza Navona--but what a treat you would be missing. On a back street parallel to Corso Emmanuele there lies this delicious trattoria. There is no sign outside, so the best directions I can give you is that it is about the 8th door when you are walking toward Piazza Navona. It has a small, wood dining room and three very old ladies run to seat you. There is no menu and no choice--just what they decided to cook that evening--so you are always surprised. The waitresses leave you wanting for nothing and are only happy if you are. Wine keeps flowing and costs about...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on September 5, 2000