Gotland Journals

A few days in Gotland

A May 1999 trip to Gotland by Tuuli

Quote: I visited Gotland for the first time when a group of students from my school decided to travel there - as a part of studies officially, but actually the trip was more about having fun. The Medieval town of Visby and wonderful nature made my trip unforgettable.

A few days in Gotland

Wandering in Visby in a Sunday morning - no people around - was something I won't forget. Stora Karlsö is a nature reservate but certain routes are accessible to travellers with a guide, and thus we were able to spend a wonderful, sunny day hiking there.

Gotland is great for biking I've heard - I haven't tried it but the island is rather small and flat... We had a bus, but the Visby centrum is for pedestrians only.

Stora Karlsö

When we arrived to Stora Karlsö (Big Karl's Island), it was a wonderfully sunny day. There's a boat from the main island to SK, and the trip takes about an hour. I'm not really that much into hiking in general, but still I found the nature there really fascinating. The cliffs are unbelievable, there are plants of all kinds (orchideas etc.), but the thing that people come to see are the sea birds. There are thousands of them nestling there, and with binoculars it's possible to see a few very extraordinary species. No extra garment is needed; you can do just fine with comfortable, ordinary clothes. Don't forget to bring food with you! Hiking makes you hungry, and I think there's a restau...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on August 30, 2000

Stora Karlsö
A smaller island near the main one.
Gotland, Sweden

Lummelunda Caves

Lummelunda caves (or Lummelunda grottorna in Swedish) are quite famous for the dripstones down there. I think some of it is only hype - when we got there, it wasn't THAT amazing. Nice, of course, but not that much... Well, anyway, you must have a guide (I wouldn't like to get lost there!), and I guess they all speak English. I think it's possible to take a small cruise there as there's water in the caves plus the humidity. It's also very cold, so even though it may be sunny outside, you'll freeze without a sweater.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on August 30, 2000