Vail Journals

Ski Vail

A travel journal to Vail by JodiJill

Quote: Vail Colorado is known for the best skiing in the world. Here is some information from a skier-a-holic.

Ski Vail

There is only two things you should be doing in Vail: Skiing or sleeping. The sleeping should be done when you are exhausted only. The slopes in this mountian resort cater to the skier and snowboarder, depending on your personal taste.

This is a popular resort town so consider getting your accomodations and lift tickets before coming to town so you can focus on going downhill.

Not much in the options of public transportation. You can fly into the Denver airport and catch a van or rent a car. I suggest a car so you can stop and savor the flavor of the Rocky Mountains.

Sun Vail

Hotel

This is a nice, safe place to stay and within distance to the lifts. The condominiums have hot tubs and great mountain views. I suggest you give this place a try if you are looking for a good deal in the area.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on August 24, 2000

Sun Vail
635 N. Frontage Rd #1
Vail, Colorado 80657
970.476.0906

I took a halfday class at the school to learn more about skiing and how to stop (I don't like trees much.) It was extremely helpful and I felt right at home. I suggest you attend a class if you are looking to ski better or just want to learn to ski period. Their classes cater to full and half days, women only classes, snowboarding, children, etc.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on August 24, 2000

Vail Ski and Snowboard School
600 W Lionshead Cir
Vail, Colorado 81657

Screaming down a mountain may be fun for some, but I had to try my hand at cross country skiing. It was a blast and just as hard. I admit I am a beginner, but we (a friend and myself) got out into the wilderness (on a designated trail) and went on and on. It was so quiet, beautiful and we ran across deer on one part of the trail. I suggest if you are looking to escape civilization to try this sport in Vail. You won't be disappointed.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on August 24, 2000

Trails outside of Vail
Vail
Vail, Colorado

The best about Vail

Story/Tip

The longest run of the mountain would have to be the Flapjack to the Riva at 4.5 miles. You are tired after that little jaunt (of course I was out of shape at the time.) The most challenging hill is the Prima Cornice. Personally I have never skied this area, but I am told it is quite a thrill. The best view of the mountain would have to be the patrol headquarters where Chairs 4,5, and 11 meet. You can see from that are the amazing view of the 14,000 Mount of the Holy Cross. Vail is worried about the competition of surrounding areas and treats their guests well. They have the largest network of highspeed lifts in America making your time spent on skiing instead of wai...Read More

Vail the City/Colorado Ski Museum

Story/Tip

When you think of Vail, you might think of the ski part where you fly down the mountain and enjoy the sport of the Rockies. However there is a city which accompanies the resort. It has the basic essentials of a city: banks, supermarkets, galleries, library and theaters. One of the more famous things you can find in town is the Colorado Ski Museum. It is a neat little place that gives you the rundown of the sport. Personally I found a few interesting facts about the sport I would have never known (I am not telling you either - you need to stop by and see for yourself.) Downtown you can ice skate on the famous arena and enjoy the beauty of the Rockies all at the same time. My frie...Read More

Vail, Tickets and Transportation

Story/Tip

Buying a ticket at Vail means you can also ski at Breckenridge, Keystone, and Beaver Creek. The tickets for the 2000-2001 season are expected to (once again) rise so I can't give you the exact price. Transportation to and from the ski area are free and serve the Vail Village, Lionshead, Golden Peak, East Vail, West Vail, Matterhorn, and Sandstone. For a couple of bucks you can catch a shuttle between Vail and Beaver Creek Resort. This may not be needed information now, but when you make your reservations, keep it close by to save money. If you come in from the Denver International Airport the service I would suggest is the Colorado Mountain Express. Their number is 1-800-525-6363...Read More

Vail Telephone Numbers for your Trip

Story/Tip

Here are a few important numbers so you can plan your trip. Enjoy the slopes!

Snow report 1-800-985-9843

(child care place)
(970)479-3285

Womens Programs 1-800-475-4543

Reservations in other languages other than English (970) 845-5745
(Spanish, Portuese, Dutch, French, Italian and German)