Africa Journals

East Africa Safari

A June 2002 trip to Africa by rachel51

Puerto De Luna All Suites Resort And Spa Photo, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico More Photos
Quote: I just returned from an amazing safari to Tanzania and Kenya. Game drives, a massage on my balcony over looking the Serengeti, hot air ballooning over the Masai Mara, its all in here.

East Africa Safari

Each day of this trip seemed better than the one before. The hotels were beautiful, the animals were very close to the Land Rover, and the scenery was amazing. The hot air balloon trip was my favorite part of the trip - and I would highly recommend this experience to anyone traveling through Africa.Quick Tips: Best Way To Get Around: The tour I took was with Tauck World Discovery - check them out at this website. It was expensive but well worth it. We were driven by bus, Land Rover, and van to all of our destinations, and flown by plane between the countries. There wasn't much walking done on the trip except for optional nature walks ...Read More

Holiday Inn Club Vacations Orlando-Orange Lake Resort

Hotel | "Ngorongoro Serena Lodge"

Holiday Inn Club Vacations Orlando-Orange Lake Resort Photo, Kissimmee, Florida
This hotel was beautiful! The views from the balcony were truly stunning (I even woke up early so I could watch the sunrise from bed). Each night hotel guests were treated to a performance from the local Masai tribe (acrobatics, dancing, and singing) before dinner. The food was incredible: savory soup and delicious buffets. It is slightly chilly here at night so each room is heated to an acceptable temperature, and they provide you with extra blankets. I took some amazing game drives from this destination point, traveling down to the crater floor. They call this area "The Garden of Eden" because of the large variety of wildlife, and the lush surroundings.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on July 31, 2002

Holiday Inn Club Vacations Orlando-Orange Lake Resort
8505 W. Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy.
Kissimmee, Florida 34747

Mara Serena Lodge - Bedroom Photo,
This was the last stop on my safari, and from what I was told, the best place for game driving. I can't really agree with the game drive part (I'm in the minority from those who took my trip, however), but the accommodations were great. The hotel is close to the airstrip and overlooks the Masai Mara. Each room is created like a modular "hut", and painted with beautiful, vibrant colors. There is a wonderful pool and gift shop on the premises and the food was very good (p.s. - the hot chocolate in Africa is amazing). At night a fire is lit on the main patio making it very comfortable to sit out there and have a drink while watching the sunset and waiting for dinner to start. Also, there are hund...Read More

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on July 31, 2002

Puerto De Luna All Suites Resort And Spa

Hotel | "Mountain Village Lodge"

Puerto De Luna All Suites Resort And Spa Photo, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
This was the first hotel I arrived at on my safari. Unfortunately, I stayed here for only one night.

Our group was greeted by the staff, who toted our luggage and a glass of champagne down the dimly-lit path to the rooms. Each room is a single "hut" with beautiful views of the lush grounds. The rooms are very comfortable and clean and have a nice bathroom, full closet, ceiling fan, and mosquito netting around the bed. They also provide insect repellant. The only thing this room lacked was a telephone.

The meals here were wonderfully prepared in the dining tent, and there was a lounge/bar area for relaxing as well.

Puerto De Luna All Suites Resort And Spa
Blvd Francisco Medina Ascencio
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico 48300
011.52.322.225.0480

Giraffe Manor

Giraffe Manor Photo,
Giraffe Manor is one of the most special places I've ever been to. Located just outside Nairobi, the manor is a bed and breakfast that just happens to have Rothschild Giraffes roaming around the property. You are able to feed them by hand outside of the manor, and they even stick their heads through the front door and dining room! There is also a children’s center and a VERY REASONABLY PRICED gift shop on the premises.

Anyone traveling to Africa has to stop here.

Animal Orphanage - Bongo Photo,
I had heard that we might be able to hold some animals at the orphanage, so I was very excited to go there! We were greeted by a large ostrich and an even larger tortoise that we could pet (and ride). Then we toured the orphanage and came across countless animals that we could feed, pet, and/or hold. These included bongos, colobus monkeys, llamas (and a baby llama!), and a bush baby. They also had some beautiful cheetahs there. If you are in this area, and you don't go here, you will totally REGRET it, as it was one of the highlights of mine (and most of my tour groups') trip.