Madrid Journals

Alone in Madrid

A June 2002 trip to Madrid by Re

Quote: I spend a very nice week alone in Madrid, an interesting and live city.

Alone in Madrid

Definetly museums are a highlight in Madrid. Prado, Reina Sofia and Thyssen Museums are great one, really worth visiting. Although they are quite close to each other, try to visit them on separate days, so that you can enjoy their wonders and not get tired of too much culture. The Retiro Park was also memorable.Quick Tips: Best Way To Get Around: Walking, in my opinion, is always the best way to get around any city. When covering large distances or when getting exhausted I often opted for taxis. Taxis in Madrid were very cheap, especially after coming from Paris where they cost at least twice as much. So I did take taxis almost all the time. I also used the subway that was safe and...Read More

EUROMADRID

Hotel | "Euromadrid Hotel"

I had a single room that was quite small but confortable. The only amenity in the room was a TV (no cable). The bathroom, however, was spacious, recently remodeled and very nice. Hotel staff was courteous and always willing to help. The elevator broke a few times, like when I arrived with a suitcase weighting tons ...(poor guy who carried it up for me. I even doubled the tip...) For the price I paid (around 57 Euros) it was very good. The location was also excelent, one block down Gran Via and with El Corte Inglés just in the corner. Subway stations Callao and Sol were very close by.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on July 16, 2002

EUROMADRID
MESONERO ROMANOS 7
Madrid, Spain 28013
34-91-5217200

Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza

Attraction | "Thyssen Bornemitza"

I was really impressed with this Museum. It was a private collection - I don't think I've ever seen such a huge and complete private one. It covers all styles, schools and periods. Don't miss it.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on July 16, 2002

Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza
Paseo Del Prado, 8
+1 34 91 3690151

El Retiro/Buen Retiro Park

Attraction | "Retiro Park"

This is a great park in the city and very well kept. There is a lake with a beautiful monument dedicated to a King (if I recall correctly King Alfonso XIII). There are also two nice places dedicated for temporary exhibitions. One is the Crystal Palace in fornt of a nice pond and surrounded by high trees. The Retiro Park is the place to spend a sunny Sunday afternoon relaxing. There are lots of kiosks selling refreshments.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on July 16, 2002

El Retiro/Buen Retiro Park
Near the Puerta de Alcalá

Cine Luna

Attraction | "Original version movies in Madrid"

I tried to go to the movies in Madrid and had a hard time finding a movie theatre playing original version movies. Almost all cinemas play the movies translated into Spanish, but Cine Luna had four different ones in English.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on July 16, 2002