Paris Journals

Wonderful Paris

A May 2002 trip to Paris by Re

Quote: My last trip was the sixth one to the city I love the most. Three years ago I decided I had to go back once a year, and so far I've managed to do it. Every time I discover new wonderful things to do.

Wonderful Paris

I think I'll skip the most obvious attractions, since I'm sure there is plenty already written about them. I'll try to concentrate on small museums, wonderful gardens, etc. One of my favourite things to do in Paris is just to stroll along the streets, getting lost and discovering wonderful hidden squares, parks and stores. The French word for that is "flaner", and I believe I'm an authentic "flaneure".Quick Tips: Best Way To Get Around: The best way to get around in Paris is definetly walking. I belive Paris is a 360º city. By that I mean wherever you look, you will find a beautiful spot. If you are tired or covering a long distance you better try the subway with its ...Read More

Man Ray

This is an awesome place. Great decor, very trendy restaurant, oriental food (japanese, thai ...). On Friday nights the tables are set aside after midnight and dancing starts.

Man Ray
34, rue Marbeuf
+33 1 56 88 36 36

Galeries Nationales du Grand Palais

Attraction | "Grand Palais"

MUSEUMS: Besides the Louvre, the Pompidou and the Musée d'Orsay, which you must visit, there are lots of great museums which are less known but worth visiting.

The Grand Palais hosts temporary exhibitions. To check what's going on you just have to buy the "Pariscope" at any newsstand and check out the Grand Palais at the Museum section. It also has an internet site www.pariscope.fr

Galeries Nationales du Grand Palais
3, avenue du Général-Eisenhower
+33 1 44 13 17 30

Musee Rodin

Attraction | "Rodin Museum"

It has a wonderful garden with many sculputes and a good café. It's a great place to relax. The museum itself has a large collection of Rodin's sculptures donated by himself and so of Camille Claudel's work. In my opinion it's a must see activity.

Musee Rodin
77, Rue De Varenne
Paris 75007
+33 (1) 44 18 61 10

This is a small art museum which hosts a private collection at a once private home (more of a mansion). It is the same principle as the Frick Collection in New York, for those who know it.

The house is gorgeous and there is a nice restaurant where you can enjoy an afternoon tea.

Musée Jacquemart-André
158, boulevard Haussmann
+33 1 45 62 11 59

Musée Carnavalet

This is the museum of the history of Paris. Very interesting collection set in one of Marais' most beautiful "hôtels". Don't miss the courtyard. You see it form the museum and the entrance is hidden, but it's worth finding it out. Great pictures are taken there.

Musée Carnavalet
23, rue de Sévigné
Paris, France 75003
+33 1 44 59 58 58

Parc Monceau

This is my favorite park in Paris. It is very beuatiful and surrounded by gorgeous apartments (actually it's my dream place to live in Paris). On SUndays the parc is full of families with kids playing around.

Parc Monceau
Monceau

Brand Name Retailers

Attraction | "THE streets to find brand names"

Whether you are one of those few priviledged ones to can afford it or whether you are like myself (great taste and little money), some streets you cannot miss. Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré and nearby Place Vendome. Avenue Montaigne and nearby Rue François I. Boulevard Saint Germain and surrounding streets (Rue de Seine, Rue de Rennes...)

Brand Name Retailers
6th and 8th Arrondissements

Atelier du Savon

This is a great store that resembles Lush. Different soaps, fizzling balls, etc. Try the chocolate bar. It's not cheap but it's certainly worth every cent.

Atelier du Savon
Marais
Paris, France

Paris Opera (The Palais Garnier, Opéra Garni)

Attraction | "Opera de Paris"

I always check on the internet the performances at the two opera houses. Opera Garnier and Opera Bastille. Besides Opera, they also host ballet and concerts.

www.opera-de-paris.fr

You can also buy your tickets online. I've done it many times and it works out pretty well.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on July 15, 2002

Paris Opera (The Palais Garnier, Opéra Garni)
8, Rue Scribe