Beijing Journals

Weekend in Beijing

Best of IgoUgo

An August 2000 trip to Beijing by ElyseMc

Pearl Market Photo, Beijing, China More Photos
Quote: This journal describes our weekend in Beijing,China, a couple of weeks ago. My husband and I made the trip along with a friend of ours that had never been to Beijing before (this was our 3rd trip).

Weekend in Beijing

Beijing is an interesting place! After living in China for almost two years, and knowing what I know now, if I only had one day to visit China, I would make that day Beijing! Beijing has it all! Not only do they have breath-taking sight-seeing (don't miss seeing the Great Wall!), but they have exquisite dining, and fabulous shopping! But beware! Some items that you can buy in China are considered contraband in the US! Beanie Babies, for one, are taboo to import back! Quick Tips: We particularly like visiting the Hong Qiao pearl market. This large store has SO much for sale at great prices! The first floor hosts electronics, the second has clothes, shoes, and luggage, and ...Read More

The Great Wall Sheraton Hotel

Hotel | "The Great Wall Sheraton - Beijing"

The Great Wall Sheraton Hotel Photo, Beijing, China
Our room was large for just a basic room (not a suite), and extremely comfortable! The air-conditioner really worked, and kept the room at a nice temperature. The view was nice and we were able to see the main street down below. My only complaint would be to update the tub/shower combinations. I hate shower curtains that blow in and stick to me while I'm showering!

Our room included breakfast, so we went down each morning and ate before going out. The chef in the coffee shop made the BEST omelet I believe I have ever had! Too bad it was so big I couldn't eat it all!!!

The Great Wall Sheraton Hotel
10 NORTH DONG SAN HUAN ROAD
Beijing, China
86-10-6590-5566

Hard Rock Cafe

Restaurant | "Hard Rock Cafe - Beijing"

Hard Rock Cafe Photo, Beijing, China
We always love to find Hard Rock Cafe restaurants, because you know what the food is going to be like. And luckily, you can find them in most major cities around the world. We've eaten at HRCs in Beijing, Shanghai, Singapore, and Hong Kong!

Hard Rock Cafe
1F Landmark Towers, 8 East Third Ring Road North Section
Beijing, China 100004
+86 (0)10 6590 6688

I'm sorry ... I can't remember the exact name of this restaurant, but it's the Thai restaurant in the Holiday Inn Lido Beijing. The food is delicious! Be sure and have the Tam Yan Gung (spicy shrimp soup). It's delicious!

If you sit on the non-smoking side, be prepared to sit at a sunken-pit style table. I always thought these were interesting ...! Even if they are a little hard for me to get in and out of. It's a fun atmosphere, with good service, and delicious food. Don't miss it!

Thai Food Restaurant
Holiday Inn Lido Beijing
Beijing, China
+86 10 6437 6688

Paulaner Brauhaus Beijing at Kempinski Hotel

Restaurant | "Paulaner Brauhaus"

Paulaner Brauhaus: located behind the Lufthansa Department Store and the Kempinsky Hotel. We have eaten at the Paulaner Brauhaus chain in both Beijing and Shanghai, and find them to be very similar. You can count on the food to be plentiful AND delicious! One of our favorites is the Sampler Platter, which has several different types of meat and sausages on it. This is such a big serving that we always split one, and usually still have food left over! This trip, in Beijing, we opted for the outdoor Friday night barbecue buffet. Although I actually prefer the Sampler Platter, it was fun checking out the buffet for a change. I certainly wasn't disappointed with what...Read More

Paulaner Brauhaus Beijing at Kempinski Hotel
Beijing Lufthansa Center, 50 Liangmaqiao Road
Chaoyang District, Beijing, China 100125
+86 10 6465 3388

Weekend in Beijing, China

Story/Tip

Pearl Market-2 Photo, Beijing, China
On Friday morning (8-11-00), we (my husband, Steve, our friend, Don, and I) took the 9:45 AM China Eastern flight from Nanjing, China, to Beijing. After the 1.5 hour flight, we got in to the Beijing airport, gathered our luggage, and met the hotel car. In the past, we have always stayed at the Holiday Inn Lido Hotel, but this time we stayed at The Great Wall Sheraton, which is a little closer to downtown. I really like both hotels, and they both have their selling points, but it was good to see what the Sheraton was like. The rooms were clean and spacious, and I must admit that the a/c in the Sheraton kept a more constant temperature than any hotel that we’ve stayed in in Asia. We wanted it cool,...Read More

Weekend in Beijing, China - 2

Story/Tip

Tiananmen-2 Photo, Beijing, China
After Silk Alley, we parted ways with Don for a little while. Steve wanted to rest, so I walked over to the Lufthansa Department Store (I can buy Lancome makeup there). When I returned, Steve said he wanted to go back to the Lido hotel and shop for food at their supermarket. Living at the Lido must be pretty nice, with a good grocery store inside, a Watson’s (drugstore), and other good shopping all around the area. When Steve and I shop for groceries, we go up and down each aisle twice, hoping not to miss anything that we might need. I’m sure the local people wish those 'out-of-towners' would get done and leave! Ha! As you can suspect, we picked up quite a few articles (HOW many bags of Dorito’...Read More