Las Vegas Journals

Two Weeks Out West

A June 2002 trip to Las Vegas by twisty7867

Quote: My (now) wife and I went to Las Vegas in the company of friends and family, to get married. We also spent our honeymoon there, with a brief (read on) side trip to LA.

Two Weeks Out West

Gamble and get plastered on free drinks - the best places have the best drinks, but you'll pay for it by gambling more. But, don't forget to visit the many incredible non-gambling attractions either.

If you're sensitive to heat, don't go from May-September (it's in excess of 100° most of that time).

Definitely rent a car, and a nice one if you're willing to fork out the cash. The Strip in Las Vegas is like the A1A in FL - a good place to see and be seen, especially with a nice ride.

Aladdin Hotel Casino

Attraction | "Aladdin"

Check-in was a breeze, with no line at 8pm on Thursday. Our exceedingly oddly shaped room was nonetheless quite visually appealing and outfitted with all the comforts you could expect - a soaking tub overlooking the strip, separate shower, foyer with PC, and a comfy king bed. The 26th floor view was great, to the southwest in the direction of Monte Carlo and NY NY. The staff were most helpful and complied promptly with all of our requests, including letting my wife and I into our room on our wedding night, after I stepped inside, set the keycard down, and promptly stepped back out and locked us out. What makes me love Aladdin the most is their relatively low rates (~$70 weekdays and ~$100 weekends) an...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on July 3, 2002

Aladdin Hotel Casino
3667 Las Vegas Boulevard South

Monte Carlo Resort and Casino

Hotel | "Monte Carlo"

The room was basic but pleasant and very visually appealing. The complementary toiletries were very nice, some brand that my wife oohed and ahhed over. The pool area was well landscaped and beautiful, and the staff were courteous and helpful. The shower head was too low (but it's so typical I can hardly hold it against them - I am 6'2").

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on July 3, 2002

Monte Carlo Resort and Casino
3770 Las Vegas Blvd. South
(800)-311-8999

Carson Civic Plaza Doubletree Hotel

Hotel | "Hilton Carson Civic Plaza"

Typical of a <$100 Hilton, this Hilton had spare but acceptable accomodations. The room service was fumbled, but only slightly and quickly corrected. High speed internet access was offered.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on July 3, 2002

Carson Civic Plaza Doubletree Hotel
2 Civic Plaza
Carson, California 90745

Las Vegas Hotel & Casino

Hotel | "Las Vegas Hilton"

Check-in was mercifully brief due to a special HHonors line. The room was decent and the view was most excellent. Restaurants in the hotel are varied, and for those interested, the Star Trek Experience is there as well.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on July 3, 2002

Las Vegas Hotel & Casino
3000 Paradise Road

Bellagio

Hotel

This was my second stay at Bellagio and I was fairly satisfied. Our room had some housekeeping issues, but other than that it was most excellent. We received an upgraded room in order to avoid a wait when we checked in and we were very satisfied. The room service and all other service is prompt and friendly.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on July 3, 2002

Bellagio
3600 S. Las Vegas Blvd.

Fellini's Ristorante at The Stratosphere

Restaurant | "Tower of Pasta"

This Italian restaurant clearly aspires to imitate the mediocrity of Olive Garden, and is doing to fairly successfully. Mediocre service and forgettable food ensure that I will not make a return visit.

Fellini's Ristorante at The Stratosphere
2000 Las Vegas Blvd South
Las Vegas, Nevada 89104

Roundtable Buffet at the Excalibar

Restaurant | "Round Table Buffet"

This buffet has to be the worst I have ever encountered in Las Vegas. The food was bland, narrow in selection, and poor in quality. I saw absolutely no service personnel and the dishes from our meal remained there throughout. If you want merely lots of volume for your dollar, Circus Circus is reportedly a better choice.

Roundtable Buffet at the Excalibar
3850 Las Vegas Blvd. S.

Binion's Ranch Steak House

Restaurant | "Binion's Steakhouse"

We found the best thing about the steakhouse was the view. The food was decent but way overpriced for the quality. The service was mediocre at best. The selection was fairly slim if you weren't in the mood for their overpriced slabs of flesh.

Binion's Ranch Steak House