Florence Journals

finding florence

An April 2002 trip to Florence by durgama

Quote: finding the taste of this medium sized city, full of art treasures

finding florence

The Uffizi Gallery, the Accademia, the Medici Chapel, day trip to Pisa.

I walked everywhere in Florence. If you stay at the right place all the major sights will be right there. They are all within walking distance of each other.

Archi Rossi

Hotel

I loved staying at Archi Rossi. The staff was efficient, if not overly friendly. The rooms were large and clean, with private bathrooms and lots of friendly people. There was a big room to watch movies (there was an outstanding collection of movies) and meet other people. Best of all it was only a few minutes from the train station, and just a block away from the medici chapel. The Uffizi and the Accademia and the Duomo aren't far away either. There may be more beautiful hostels in Florence, but they are so far away, I think it's more worth it to stay at Archi Rossi.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on May 24, 2002

Archi Rossi
Via Faenza
Florence, Italy

Galleria dell'Accademia

Attraction | "the accademia"

I loved the Accademia. Most people go there with the intention to see the David sculpture (I did), but there are other great things here too. Michealangelo's unfinished sculptures are so amazingly beautiful, in a way better than anything that he finished, because they carry such a mystery of what could have been in them. They look like creatures trapped within themselves because you can see the characters they were beginning to take. David is amazing too, for me more overwhelming than anything, because it was so much larger than I thought it would be. I spent half an hour walking around it.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on May 24, 2002

Galleria dell'Accademia
Via Ricasoli 60
Florence, Italy
055 238 8609

Leaning Tower of Pisa

Attraction | "the leaning tower"

Taking a day trip into Pisa is a must while in Florence. There's nothing to see there but the famous tower and its cathedral, and it's not far from the train station, even though on the map it does look far. It only took me about twenty minutes to walk to it.

The tower itself disappointed me a little because I thought it would be leaning more. I think when you are closer up to it, not looking at a picture of it, it doesn't look so dramatic. It costs fifteen Euros to walk up to the top, and they only certain groups go up at certain times, so I didn't think it was worth it. The lawns are great to sit on and watch all the other tourist walking around taking pictures.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on May 24, 2002