Antalya Journals

Antalya another look

An April 2002 trip to Antalya by goodspkr

Cabanas Photo, Antalya, Turkey More Photos
Quote: I thought I would break out the high points for those who would like it that way. My wife and I are in our fifties. We love traveling. She likes to stay a very nice hotels, etc. and I always look to get the best deal. She loves shopping while I'm a history buff. Antalya was perfect for both of us.

Antalya another look

Antalya Photo, Antalya, Turkey
If you haven't been to Turkey, you are in for a treat when you finally go. It is rich in history with beautiful and fascinating scenery, it has something for everyone.

Learn some basic Turkish. The people are really nice and they will respond well to you if you try.

Turkey is different from what Europeans and Americans are used to because plane and train is not their chief method of getting around. They have a very good bus system that is inexpensive and first rate. In town, taxis are expensive relative to dolmus's, but that is only relative to them. They still are a bargain by our standards.

Sheraton Voyager Antalya Hotel Resort and Spa

Hotel | "Sheraton Voyager Antalya"

Sheraton Voyager Antalya Hotel Resort and Spa Photo, Antalya, Turkey
This is a fabulous hotel. It qualifies with the finest hotels you could stay at anywhere. I got a great deal using a special rate that came from being a subscriber of Cornucopia. The rate I got with this subscription was $90 per night for a oceanview, king size bed, nonsmoking room with breakfast for two each day. The day we arrived determined the exchange rate. Because inflation is so bad in Turkey we stayed seven nights at $90 per night and charged probably about $40 at the pool for food, drinks, etc. When I got the bill from my credit card company, the total charge was $632. Inflation had pretty much wiped out the extra charges.

Sheraton Voyager Antalya Hotel Resort and Spa
100 YIL BULVARI
90-242-2385555

Cabanas

Cabanas Photo, Antalya, Turkey
This restaurant is next to the Hidirlik Tower and has outdoor tables that overlook the water looking to the Taurus Mountains to the west. The view is stunning and the food was wonderful. The chef came out and asked how we wanted the food cooked and the owner greeted us like long lost friends on our second meal here. I highly recommend this restaurant.

Cabanas
Hesapci Sok

Restaurant at Alp Pasa Hotel Photo, Antalya, Turkey
This restaurant is in a word, charming. The candlelit courtyard has all kinds of knick knacks that you see in so many historic European restaurants. They offer a buffet (from 19:30-21:30) as well as a full menu (11:00-23:00). The food was excellent and the sauces perfect (and I'm a fussy eater who generally scrapes the sauces off). They have live music after dark and that is when this restaurant is at its most charming. The prices are very reasonable. We ate their twice with wine and both times had a bill (for two) of about $25. It has western style bathrooms. They are small, clean, and even have toilet paper with no charge. You can find them (mens/ladies) on either side of the bar.

Restaurant at Alp Pasa Hotel
Hesapci Sok No. 30-32

Aspendos Theater

Aspendos Theater Photo, Antalya, Turkey
The theater at Aspendos is world famous. It is the most complete Roman theater that I've ever seen. It was repaired in the thirteenth century and used by the Turks as a palace. Their restoration has left it in stunningly good condition. The acoustics is what it is famous for. You can literally stand on the stage and be heard through out the theater without sound equipment. It is still used for concerts and if you are there in late May and June, I would recommend you go (we left the day before there was a concert). I am attaching a picture of Jaclyn on the stage. I did not use the telephote lens so you can see how far away she was. She asked us in a normal voice if we could hear her. We could...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on May 29, 2002