Christ Church began in 1711 when the Bishop of London took Calvinist and Lutheran settlers from New Bern into the Church of England. In 1715 the Colonial Assembly divided North Carolina into parishes with Craven being the "Neuse River and branches thereof". A church was finally completed in 1750.
In 1752, the parish was sent special gifts from King George II. A five-piece set of communion silver (chalice, paten, two large flagons, and an offering basin), a large Book of Common Prayer, and a Bible printed at Oxford in 1717 were all inscribed with the Royal Arms of Great Britain. The communion set is still in regular use and the books are on display.
The yellow fever epidemic in 1798-99 killed so many...Read More