Posted by gjf03c on January 28, 2011
I'm going to be visiting Destin in April and wanted to get some ideas of things to do. I went to tripshock and bookit for some ideas, but I want to see what other travelers thought.
Reply by Wildcat Dianne on February 11, 2011
I live in this area but haven't been to Destin. Navarre has some great beaches and a restaurant named Cocodries on the beach on Hwy. 87 that is worth the drive to check out. Go 30 miles or so down the road and see Pensacola and Pensacola Beach and go to Hemingways for lunch. Their seafood bisque is great along with their grouper sandwiches. My mother went to Destin with family over the summer while I was at work and there is an outlet mall you can check out while you are there that has great prices and restaurants.
Reply by purpleinopp on April 04, 2011
Hi. There is an attraction called Gulfarium at the west end of the causeway connecting Destin to Ft. Walton. The parking lot there also serves an ocean-view restaurant and mini-golf course. Downtown Ft. Walton is very cute with art galleries, kitschy shops. What type of activities are you looking for? The Destin area is much more relaxed and family-oriented than Panama City. The beautiful beach goes on forever in both directions. There are several state parks in the area, several artificial reef sites for diving, and you can rent or hire any type of watercraft imaginable. Have a great time!
Reply by eyesoftheworldStaff on April 06, 2011
Hope you see this before your trip! My sister lived in nearby Pensacola for 6 years and has this to say about things to do in and around Destin:
- The Red Bar in Seaside. Great food, interesting decor.
- Seaside itself is a cute little town with some shops and book stores and stuff.
- Actually, there are a few other interesting places to stop along 30-A. National Parks, weird stores, good food.
- Deep sea fishing trips are fun, though I'm not sure I would risk it yet after the oil spill. Plus, there was just another one, though not as big as last year's.
- Gulfarium is cool, but nothing like New Orleans or Boston aquariums.
- Crab Island - good for hanging out on the beach, there is always a party vibe.
- There is a fishing and history museum (I think just called Destin Fishing & History Museum)
- Fort Walton Temple Mound Museum
- Smith's antique mall is interesting if youre looking to putz around
- Harborwalk Village
- Big Kahuna Waterpark
- Outlet mall
If they want to go to Pensacola:
Paradise Inn on the beach has amazing burgers. Hopjacks is worth a visit, though they will be closed for bathroom renos sometime this month. There's the Naval museum, GoKarts on the beach, Five Sisters is an amazing restaurant in Belmont neighborhood. Parasailing, here and in Destin.
Reply by dougb61 on June 29, 2011
I hear the beach is popular!
This topic has been closed by IgoUgo staff. Open a new topic by first selecting a Destination, Interest, or Inside IgoUgo forum.