May 26, 2002
I've got to be honest....I do not like to eat at a resort where my meals are included because usually the quality is bad and the food is cold. Now that I've said that I have to swallow and say that the Wilderness lodge has made me a believer..my faith has been renewed!
First course is a STARTER such as these:
* Coriander scented Chicken and Noodle Miso soup
* Salmon and Avocado Nori Rolls with Wasabi and soy sauce
Next is the MAIN with choices such as:
* Apricot basted Duck Breast, resting on a spring onion & Kumara Frittata, drizzled with a red wine reduction. (0ooohhlllalla)
* panfried new Zealand Groper atop gold Kumara Pancakes finished with a spiced Mango Salsa!
Now you arrive at my favorite time--DESSERT
* Hazelnut and Butterscotch Tart with Wildberry Frozen Youghurt
* Honey and date Pudding served in a homemade chocolate basket, thick chocolate sauce, cream and macerated strawberries.
Heck.....I don't know what all that stuff WAS but it sure was GOOD! At Arthur's pass my waitstaff pal (Robin) decided that I should combine things to get more chocolate. This must be a sin !
I got so excited that I forgot to tell you that you do get your choice of vegetables.
Both lodges have extensive wine and liquor collections and we appreciated the knowledgable staff who knew their Australian and New Zealand wines very well. Did I FORGET to tell you that you eat vegetables too????
I got even with Robin when I tried to fix him up with the McSweeney's delightful daughter, Claire. I thought that they'd be the cutest couple but Claire was too smart for my trickery!
After eating we went and met both chefs and complimented them on their fine work. Please try to do that when you appreciate a cooks work...they need to know that their hard work has been very appreciated!
From journal Wilderness Lodges of New Zealand