Results 1-2of 2 Reviews
July 19, 2003
Estavayer-Le-Lac owes its name the Gallo-Roman nobleman Stavius –- e.g. Stavius-on the Lake. As the legend goes, he founded the settlement in 512. But archeological evidence shows that first people inhabited the area during the Mesolithic Age, some 5500 BC. Patron saint, Saint-Laurent suppose to live here during the Dark Ages. In the 11th century, three noblemen shared the government of the town and 13 other localities. By the middle of the 13th century Count Peter of Savoy was the sole governor. During the Burgundian Wars in 1475 the Bernese and Friburgians seized upon the town, which was within the territories of the Count of Savoy, ally of Charles le Téméraire, the Duke of Burgundy. Eventually, Estavayer-Le-Lac joined Fribourg (1536) and became a part of the canton.
The museum also has a gallery which exhibits local artists’ works of art and the famous collection of stuffed frogs from the 19th century (François Perrier stuffed 108 animals in the 1860s). Today the frogs are arranged in the cases depicting different scenes from the local life (the school, the bar, electoral meeting, scenes of family, army etc).
Museum open Tues–Sun 10am–noon, 2–5pm. Adults 4 CHF, students 2 CHF.
From journal Beauty On The Lake Neuchâtel