Results 1-2of 2 Reviews
by Joy S
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
August 31, 2011
From journal 2 Days in Bristol
by GB from Devizes
Devizes, United Kingdom
November 17, 2004
The Abbey was founded by Robert Fitzharding, but was dissolved by Henry VIII and then elevated to the status of cathedral in 1542. The only remaining Norman feature is the Chapter House, built between 1150 and 1170. The Lady Chapel dates from 1225 and is in fine condition.
It is known as a "Hall Church," featuring full height aisles, of which it is one of the earliest examples. The Norman nave was demolished in the 16th century, and the site was left bare until the current nave was added in 1868.
It sits at the back of College Green in a lovely setting, with wide expanses of grass before it and the equally impressive, but far more modern, Council House across the way. It is a good place for a picnic on a fine day, after which the serious shopper can sample the retail delights of Park Street, which travels from the Green and up a steep, wide hill towards Clifton.