When the State Capitol was moved to Raleigh in 1794 the house was rented as a Masonic Lodge, private school and a boarding house until 1798 when the house burned leaving only the stable and kitchen. Early in the 19th century, the kitchen was demolished and the area built on.
In 1944, Mrs. James Latham established a trust fund to reconstruct and furnish the site. Over fifty buildings had to be moved or torn down but by 1959 the resoration had been completed and the site was open to the public.
The furnishings were purchased to match Governor Tryon's tastes using an inventory of his possessions which he made after his new home at Fort George, New York burned.
Tours are conducted by guides in period costume and guests can tour the 18th-century English gardens on their own. Admission is $15 adult/$6 students. It is open Tues-Sat. 9-5, Sunday 1-5 (last tour begins at 4:00PM). The garens are open until 6:00 PM. It is closed Mondays, Thanksgiving, Dec. 24-26 and Jan 1.
Results 1-5of 5 Reviews
June 12, 2007
From journal East Coast North Carolina
February 25, 2006
This stately Georgian palace, completed in 1770, was both the Colonial government seat and the home of the royal British governor, William Tryon. His extravagant lifestyle, funded by increased taxes, led to unrest by the colonists.
After the American Revolution, the Palace fell into disrepair and was largely destroyed. Local benefactors realized the importance of the Palace in colonial history and started the reconstruction process. Fortunately, the original architectural plans survived and allowed accurate reconstruction.
A costumed guide tours visitors through the main palace structure and covers the history of the palace and historical New Bern events. The tour includes many rooms--all furnished with authentic period furniture and accessories. Most impressive! Also, the royal governor, "William Tryon," was in residence during our visit. He lively discussed the "current" politics and government of the 1700s, including his disgust with not only local colonists but also with "that" colonist George Washington in Virginia.
Tours of the dependencies and gardens are self-guided. The kitchen offices and the blacksmith shop included costumed craftsmen and servants carrying out their 17th century duties. All the craftsmen were knowledgeable, and could discuss at length their specialties.
Various gardens are found on the palace property, and with the other homes operated by Tryon Palace.
The Stanly House was built circa 1780 and the Dixon House between 1826 and 1833. Both homes contain authentic furnishings and should not be missed. Tours cover the history of the family and the home. Each home provides a different view of the past.
From journal October at Fairfield Harbour
Feeding Hills, Massachusetts
April 26, 2004
From journal Birthplace of Pepsi
May 8, 2002
From journal History comes alive in New Bern
Northern Va Suburbs of DC, Virginia
March 18, 2002
From journal New Bern, North Carolina's 2nd Oldest town