Results 1-2of 2 Reviews
May 8, 2002
During the Civil War, the house was headquarters to Union General Ambrose E. Burnside. In 1862, it was used as a convent for nuns who served as nurses in the Union hospitals. From 1935 to 1965 it was the public library.
It was moved to its present (and third) site in 1966 and restored. It opened to the public in 1972. The house has a guided tour (allow 30 minutes) which is part of the Palace admission price of $15 adult/$6 students. Hours are the same as for the Palace.
From journal History comes alive in New Bern
Northern Va Suburbs of DC, Virginia
March 18, 2002
The Stanly House was built in the early 1780s for Revolutionary War patriot, John Wright Stanly. John Hawks, the architect who designed Tryon Palace, may have designed the Stanly House as well.
John Wright Stanly was a leading shipowner, shipper, and molasses distiller in New Bern.
The house is built of hand hewn longleaf pine, the siding flush with cornerstones or quoins also made of wood. The house is a full two stories high, below a deck or hip roof. The center door is framed with Doric columns supporting an open pediment. All of the windows have finely developed molded frames.
This is a fine example of Georgian archecture.
From journal New Bern, North Carolina's 2nd Oldest town