Results 1-2of 2 Reviews
Townsville, Queensland, Australia
September 15, 2006
From journal Sightseeing in Bratislava
by Wildcat Dianne
January 2, 2003
St. Martin''s Cathedral, built in the 13th century in the Romanesque style, proved too small for Bratislava''s growing population and, in the late 14th century, was replaced by a Gothic cathedral designed by Viennese architect Hans Puchspaum, who was inspired by the hall churches in Swabia, Germany.
The new St. Martin''s Cathedral was consecrated in 1452 and underwent several reconstructions and remodellings in later centuries. The reconstruction included a baroque chapel (1729-1732) and a complete transformation to neo-Gothic architecture (19th century).
From 1563-1830, St. Martin''s Cathedral was the sight of 19 coronations of Austrian-Hungarian Emperors and Empresses. After 1830, the coronations were moved from St. Martin''s to Budapest.
The sights not to miss in St. Martin''s Cathedral are St. Stephen''s Crown, located on the church tower, about 240 feet above town, and the statue of St. Martin and the Beggar sculpted by Viennese artist Raphael Donner between 1733 and1735. The statue used to be the high altar''s centerpiece but it''s now located in the southeastern corner of the nave.
St. Martin''s Cathedral is closed to the public during mass and is only open from 11am to 2pm weekdays. Admission is free, but you must pay for the brochure and postcards located at the cathedral entrance.
From journal Historical Bratislava