March 17, 2005
The famous symbol of Guang Zhou, The Sculpture of the Five Rams, is found in the vicinity of Yue Xiu Park. This sculpture is seen as a symbol of Guang Zhou due to an ancient legend. This legend tells of five celestial beings with robes of five colours that rode rams through the air to Guang Zhou, each carrying a stem of rice. They presented it to the people, and they took it as a sign from heaven that the city will always be free from famine. Therefore, Guang Zhou is also known as the City of Rams or Goat City.
Other than that, The Zhen Hai Tower is also located here. This tower was built during the Ming Dynasty (AD 1368 to 1644) and is one of the oldest buildings in Guang Zhou. The Zhen Hai Tower was used as a watchtower during that time, guarding the city against invasions. It now houses the city museum, displaying antiques, sculptures, and porcelains from ancient dynasties.
From journal Delights of Guang Zhou