Results 1-5of 5 Reviews
Moscow, Moskva, Russia
November 4, 2011
From journal Severe and at the same time romantic
by Red Mezz
Inverness, Scotland, United Kingdom
November 21, 2010
From journal 'You must go at once - please, take my car'
Ayr, Scotland, United Kingdom
February 25, 2003
The prince bishops of Durham resided in Durham Castle. Their coats of arms appear everywhere within its walls. Suspended above the River Wear, Durham Castle, like Durham Cathedral, is a powerful and moving building.
Historically, the defensive walls linked to the castle surrounded the 48-acre Durham river peninsula and the whole enclosed area, including the cathedral, was known as 'the castle'. Just within the castle walls, on the eastern side, was the Castle Baileys –- the South Bailey and the North Bailey streets. The Baileys are among the most historic and attractive streets in Durham. In early times, soldiers lived there. Most of the present houses are of Georgian origin as, in the 18th century, these streets were lined with fashionable townhouses belonging to County Durham’s wealthiest landowners.
Originally a defensive wall divided the Baileys. The road passed through the wall at the Bow Church Gate near the church of St Mary le Bow. This church is now the Durham Heritage Centre. The most impressive gate into Durham was the Great North Gate that stood at the top of North Bailey, where it joined Saddler Street. Built around 1072 and adjoining the castle to the west, it served as a gate and city prison from the early 15th century.
The palace green separates the castle from the cathedral. Until the 12th century, this area was the centre of Durham, its market place, and contained a huddle of wooden houses. Now the green is flanked on its east and west sides by historic buildings dating mostly from the 18th century -- including a former grammar school. The castle takes up the northern end and the cathedral the south.
The Keep -- now sleeping quarters for students of Durham University College -- dominates the castle. A courtyard west of the Keep is enclosed by the older and largest part of the castle. Entry is by a gatehouse near the castle moat that's crossed by a drawbridge.
As you pass through the castle gatehouse and into the courtyard, you'll see the 13th- and 14th-century Great Hall to the left -- it's about 100-feet long and 45-feet high and contains a 500-year-old kitchen. The grand dining hall -– now the dining hall for University College Durham -- occupies most of the Great Hall building.
From the western side of Palace Green a narrow lane called Windy Gap leads to the wooded riverbank and Fulling Mill. Once the property of the Priors of Durham and known as Jesus Mill, it is now the home of the University Museum of Archaeology, which contains relics of the region’s Anglo-Saxon and Roman past. A little to the south is the Prebends Bridge, built in 1777, and with a view of Durham Cathedral to its best advantage. The Cathedral’s western towers commandingly overlook the wooded river bank and Fulling Mill.
From journal County Durham - Castles, Cathedrals and Museums
Todmorden, England, United Kingdom
July 22, 2002
In the 1830s it was acquired by the then new University, actually the third oldest in the country. Its old hall is still used as a dining hall for students.
Some parts of what remains is very early, the Norman chapel actually dating from the 11tb century and the foundation of the castle. At the other extreme, in place of the original keep which was disused and ruined, the present 'keep' was built for student accommmodation in the 19th century!
From journal County Durham - an introduction
London, United Kingdom
December 28, 2001
What is particularly interesting about its current use is that it was one of the founding colleges of the University of Durham, and now houses academics. The Castle was transferred to the University at the death of Bishop Van Mildert in 1836, and the Prince Bishops official residence moved to Auckland Castle nearby.
As a University college, the students are have turned one of the cellars into a bar, providing great atmosphere. The quad is still central to the Castle. Those students who are lucky enough to get a room on the hill are treated with a magnificent view of Palace Green leading to the Cathedral.
You can get guided tours of the Castle in tourist season, but it is also used as a choice conference venue.
From journal Durham's Delights