by Barb B
Napa, CA and Hereford, AZ , Arizona
October 9, 2000
In 1825, the first building was completed. A low wooden structure plastered inside and out with whitewashed mud, it was used as living quarters. This building has been reconstructed and stands near the present chapel. It is the oldest building in Sonoma.
The mission reached its peak of prosperity around 1830 when nearly 1,000 Indians were in residence. In 1841, General Vallejo constructed and furnished the present Mission Chapel in order to provide a Parish Church for the people of Sonoma.
The Mission buildings became State Historical Landmarks and state property in 1906. Today they are open to the public daily 10am to 5pm. Admission varies between state properties, but most charge an admission fee of $1-$2 for those over 17 years of age. Donations are always welcome.
From journal Historic Sonoma