San Francisco, California
June 8, 2002
The church was built by Father Damien in 1876. Although he spent most of his time in the leper colony on the Kalaupapa pennisula, he also served as the priest for the rest of Molokai for many years. This and Our Lady of the Sorrows, futher down the road, are the two churches that remain "topside." Given the heiau nearby (in the Kamalo Plantation Bed and Breakfast), Damien may have selected this location not for its inherent beauty but to encourage islanders to visit the church.
The church was restored in 1995 to celebrate the return of Damien's hand to Kalaupapa. A sculpture of the almost-sainted man stands outside, bedecked with shell and flower lei.
From journal Molokai Mo' Bettah