Results 1-2of 2 Reviews
November 11, 2006
From journal Newport - Gilt, Gold, and Greed
October 17, 2003
The building was constructed between 1748 and 1750. It was designed by Peter Harrison and is regarded by architectural historians as one of the most significant surviving public buildings from the Colonial period.
The book collections number more that 155,00 volumes. About 75 percent of the book collection circulates, along with its more than 200 periodicals and 2,500 music recordings and books on tape.
The library has about 90 percent of its approximate 750 original titles. The original collection was purchased in England in 1749. It is either in their original volumes or in replacement volumes. Some of the volumes disappeared when the libray was used as a British Officer's Club during the Revolution.
The library also owns a well-known painting collection consisting primarily of eighteenth and nineteenth century portraits.
From journal Long Weekend in Newport, RI