Results 1-3of 3 Reviews
Ayr, Scotland, United Kingdom
August 15, 2006
From journal Glasgow, Medieval and Maritime
by Re Carroll
Abbotsford, British Columbia
November 9, 2003
It was built to house officials of the cathedral who were responsible for the welfare of the parish of Provan and were given the name Lord of the lands of Provan. When the Protestant Reformation swept Glasgow in the mid-1500s, the building became disused and was eventually sold to a private
Over the years, it has been owned by an aleman, a confectioner, and a hangman, which earned it the nickname Hangman's House. The building has been restored a couple of times, most recently in 2000, and is
now operated by the City of Glasgow District Council and Historic Scotland.
The interior doorways are short and narrow, and most people have to duck their head to enter the various rooms. The rooms contain
furniture from the 17th and 18th century that was donated by wealthy philanthropists, including Sir William Burrell, best known for the Burrell Collection in Pollok Country Park.
The main floor has lots of written
displays about the history of the house. The staircases to the second and third floors are narrow and low. They were added to the house in 1670; previously, there had been a central wooden stair with wooden balconies, but they deteriorated. The upper chambers contain pictures of some of
Scotland's famous historic figures - Charles Stuart, better known as Bonnie Prince Charlie, Lord Darnley, husband to Mary Queen of Scots, and her son James VI (who also became James I of England). In one room hangs a wooden Coat of Arms from the 16th century that belonged to Henry Hastings, third Earl of Huntingdon (1536-95). Upper-floor windows are a combination of leaded and stained glass, and the sun's rays reflecting through them added a magical touch to the rooms. In the back of the house is a medieval herb garden which contains many plants that were used for medical purposes in the 15th century.
Entrance to the house is free.
From journal A Stirling Experience
October 5, 2001
From journal Glasgow .. Cool At Last