Results 11-13of 13 Reviews
February 28, 2001
From journal Paris - Been There Done That Bought The T-Shirt...
Cinnaminson, New Jersey
February 25, 2001
Les Invalides is an architectural ensemble that takes up a huge block in the centre of Paris. It was originally built as a hospital for the retired soldiers - veterans of the wars during the reign of Louis XIV. It was built in 1674 and was ready to accept its first occupants. In 1677 the construction of the church building began which was finished in 1706 and it was then divided into the soldire's church and the cathedral of Les Invalides. By the end of 17th century this was the house of 4000 invalides that lived here as if it was a regular army. The buidling is a great example of the classicism architecture. The decorations of the cuppola of the cathedral are done in the form of war trophees. They were restored in 1989. There is a huge ceiling fresco that was also recently restored. In the middle of the cathedral you can see Napoleon's tomb surrounded by the tombs of marshalls and several Bonaparts. Originally Napoleon was not buried in Les Invalides but in 1861 his remains were transferred to the cathedral. The tomb stone is made of green granite with laurel wreath surrounding it and places of his biggest victories carved in stone. Bas-reliefs decorating the circular gallery show the main events from Napoleon's rule. In the middle there is a statue of Napoleon with symbols of the imperor.
There is also a large Army museum that has a big collection of weapons from personal collections of Louis XIII, Japanese weapons of XVI century, as well as weapons from most wars in the 18th through mid-20th centuries.
From journal Paris in May, Part II
February 6, 2001
From journal Beguiling Paris