December 15, 2005
The statue of the ruler Ştefan the Great, now in front of the park, has toured the city. Initially, the statue was located on the Central Square, where they later had the revolution and their declaration of independence from the Soviets. This was, however, a far too central location, so it was moved here by the Soviets, and in its original location is a Lenin statue. But this location was far too popular; everyone was walking by and parades were held here, so it had to move once again, this time some 18 meters back in the park. After the declaration of independence, it was moved back here, to the entrance in the park, while Lenin's statue was demolished.
The Triumph Arch was built in 1840, when they had their victory against the Turks, aided by the Russians. From the Turkish cannons they made a bell, which, until a few year's ago, hung in the Arch, no one knowing where it had been brought.
From journal Chişinău