Results 1-2of 2 Reviews
March 17, 2007
The General Post Office was built between 1814 and 1818. A significant landmark in the Easter Uprising of 1916, it was taken over by members of the Irish Freedom and Citizens army and held for a week until the British forced them out, destroying the GPO in the process. The bullet marks can still be seen on the columns in front. The GPO was rebuilt and reopened in July of 1929.
Patrick Pearse read the proclamation for the new and short lived Irish Republic from the steps of the GPO. Days later the British guns had pounded it to rubble and the rebels surrendered and several were executed. Inside is a working and often crowded post office with fine paintings of the Uprising and other artwork. Especially nice is the sculpture of Cúchulainn by Oliver Shepherd in the front window. Cúchulainn was a champion of the Red Branch of Ulster and a mythical(?) hero of Ireland. The fixtures are period and display fine woodworking and carving. The ceilings are high with a second floor arcade.
For the stamp lover the GPO also houses the home of An Post's Philatelic Office. When we were there on the 100th Anniversary of Bloomsday we purchased several commemorative sheets of stamps and stamped postcards with the date. The GPO is easy to find on O'Connell street. It is on the north side of the bridge a short distance up on the west side of the street. Admission is free.
From journal Co. Dublin
August 7, 2003
Have a look inside. It's gorgeous! You also can buy stamps here.
From journal A trip to Dublin