by Wildcat Dianne
October 15, 2005
1. The Franciscan Church and Monastery is located on Ulica Samova, below Pribina Square and the Castle. The church was built in the 17th century on the old site that was burned in the 15th century. Its architecture mirrors that of the Gesu in Rome and was destroyed during the Turkish occupation of Nitra (1663-1664). Reconstruction of the Franciscan Church didn't start until the early 18th century, and it took many years to restore it to its 17th-century glory. The monastery was built at this time on the north side of the church, and a cloister is on the east side.
2. The Lesser and Greater Seminaries of Nitra, located on Ulica Vazilova, are of baroque and classical architecture.
The Lesser Seminary's present-day look was built in the 19th century on the ruins of an older building by an Austrian architect, K. Mayer. It has two floors, a central courtyard, and a balustrade.
The Greater Seminary dates from the late 18th century and is in three parts, a baroque section (1770) with two wings (1779). The second part of the Greater Seminary was constructed in the neoclassical style in 1877, and the rear wing of the seminary was built from 1877 to 1879 by Viennese architects Schmidt and Lippert. There is a diocese library that is an exact copy of the National Library in Budapest, and it is a National Cultural Monument.
As with most churches in Slovakia, Nitra's churches are open only for masses, but not all day because of theft and vandalism. But Nitra's religious icons remain pretty much unscathed.
From journal Nitra: Slovakia's Religious Center.