July 20, 2002
From the station’s main exit, in Place de la Gare, proceed directly ahead into Rue du Petit-Chene which climbs to the right to Place St Francois. The square is dominated by the church of the same name, the sole remnant of a Franciscan monastery that was found in 1258. From the notheast corner of the square take the Rue de Bourg, turn left along Rue Caroline and left again on to Pont Bessieres. This is one of a number of bridges that cross valleys to link the hills of Lausanne, here leading to Place de la Cathedrale where famous Notre-Dame Cathedrale stands.
On the northeast corner of Place de la Cathedrale, Rue Cite Derriere runs north to Place du Chateau, in which stands a huge square Chateau St-Marie, sandstone and brick building that was put up in the 14th century as the residence of the bishop. Enlarged and altered, the building became the seat of the cantonal government.
From the southwest corner of the square you can walk down to Place de la Riponne on which stands colossal Palais de Rimine. The building houses now the university headquarters and several museums (Fine Arts, Geological, Zoological).
Continuing south, Rue Madeleine leads to Place de la Palud, on which markets are held. On the west side of the square is the Renaissance-style façade of the 17th-century city hall. Rue de la Louvre leads south into Rue Centrale. Continue into Rue Pepinet to return to Place St Francois.
From journal Lovely Lausanne