The Hauptplatz is the main square, and many important landmarks are close by. Colorful old buildings have decorative baroque stucco details that make the facades look like marzipan treats. The Rathaus (Town Hall) borders the south edge of the square, and market stalls and busy shops down Herrengasse make the Hauptplatz a bustling hub of activity.
The Landhaus, which is the seat of the provincial Styrian government and the site of the main tourist office, is a distinctive building remodeled by architect Domenico dell'Allio from 1557 to 1565. He is well known as a military architect who had worked on the Schlossberg fortress, but the Landhaus has a pleasant Renaissance style. The impressive arcaded courtyard is worth a peek, as it is the site of summertime concerts. The courtyard has three levels, and it is crowned by a series of obelisk-like finials.
The Zeughaus is the Provisional Arsenal built by Anton Solar from 1642 to 1644. The building also served as a firehouse for many years. This impressive museum has four floors that display the largest collection of arms, armor and weapons in the world. The top level offers views of Schlossberg Hill.
The gothic Cathedral was originally begun in 1438 as a church to the Imperial Court. It was elevated to the status of Graz's Cathedral in 1786. Nearby is the royal Mausoleum, which employed noted architects like Pietro de Pomis and Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach.
July 25, 2003
From journal Bill in Austria - GRAZ