by captain oddsocks
July 21, 2005
The tower clock mechanism is a modern electric appliance, but the old mechanical version that served from 1610 until 1740 is on display in the tower. The gracefully proportioned cast-iron bells covered in inscriptions are also freely displayed, and it’s possible to see architectural details invisible from the outside, such as the bricked up rondel windows and the structural makeup of the tower. The lower rooms and bell room have quite high ceilings, but the last room beneath the lookout level is a reminder that our ancestors from the middle ages were on average much shorter than are we today.
The most interesting views are back across the centre of Telč. The late afternoon sun traces out the ornate facades and casts their likeness onto the cobbled square, and the shadow of the tower itself points the way to the fountain in the centre of the chateau garden. The twin towers of the Jesuit church of the Holy Name of Jesus will dominate any photograph you take in that direction but the gate tower at the other end of the square is also clearly visible, as are the ponds surrounding the historic centre of the town.
The church itself was built in the 14th century, remodeled in the 15th and re-Gothicized in 1892. It appears to be closed to the public except during mass on Sunday morning, but it is possible to see the interior through the glass and steel grates inside the entrance doors. The interior is mostly a serene antique white, but the ceiling vaults are picked out in faux-marble and some frescoes survive on the walls close to the entrance.
During the summer, the tower is open from 10am until 11:30 and again from 12:30 until 6pm Tuesday through Saturday, and from 1pm-6pm on Sunday. In May and September, it’s open only on weekends from 1pm to 5pm. The tower might be closed at any time of year, in the case of inclement weather. The last permissible admittance to the tower is 15 minutes before closing time, and entry is 20Kč.
From journal Telc; renaissance pearl of Southern Moravia