Giovanna A. Garlati
IgoUgo Names Peter Campion as
New General Manager
New York, NY June 4, 2007
IgoUgo, one of the world’s leading online travel communities, announced today that Peter Campion has been promoted to General Manager.
- Campion joined IgoUgo in 2006 and previously held the position of Product Manager.
- Prior to IgoUgo, Campion was a Director of Product Development at Thomson Financial, where his team developed and managed a suite of web-based products targeted to the Investor Relations community.
- Having visited over 25 countries, driven across the U.S. on a tour of national parks, and biked from Boston to Chicago, Campion brings to the position both a true passion for travel and extensive product development experience.
- Campion takes over as General Manager for Tony Cheng, a co-founder of IgoUgo who has moved on to pursue other areas of interest. Campion’s appointment is effective immediately.
"I’m excited to be taking on this new role at IgoUgo. As a traveler myself, I believe in IgoUgo’s mission to act as both a source of travel inspiration and a travel-planning resource, with unbiased reviews and high-quality photos from real travelers. I look forward to helping the community grow and finding new ways to enable travel enthusiasts to interact online," said Peter Campion, IgoUgo General Manager.
IgoUgo Community at a Glance
- IgoUgo boasts 350,000+ members worldwide and growing
- IgoUgo includes 300,000+ reviews and 250,000+ photos posted by members for more than 5,500 destinations around the world
- An editorial staff to review and rate all member-submitted content
- Contributing members rewarded with IgoUgo GO PointsSM redeemable for online gift certificates and frequent-flyer miles
IgoUgo (http://www.igougo.com) is one of the most popular online travel communities in the world. Its 350,000 members—all passionate travelers—share firsthand travel experiences, advice, and photos, with candid tips and inspiring stories covering more than 5,500 destinations. Site users can search by keyword to find reviews by like-minded travelers, as well as destination guides and helpful links. Members can easily contact one another to ask questions, exchange information, and build friendships without geographic bounds. In return for writing reviews, IgoUgo members accrue valuable points redeemable for gift certificates and frequent-flyer miles. IgoUgo has garnered top industry honors, including the honor of being named one of Forbes’ "Best Travel Sites" in 2006, a Webby Award for "Best Travel Site in the U.S.," a "Top Travel Site" ranking from USA Today, and "Best Travel Community" and "Top Travel Site" commendations from Yahoo Internet Life.
- June 2000: Co-founded by Tony Cheng and Jim Donnelly
- 2002: Named one of the “Top Five Travel Sites” and the “Top Travel Community” by Yahoo Internet Life
- 2002: Named one of the "Top Travel Sites” by USA Today
- May 2004: Won Webby Award for "Best U.S. Travel Website"
- April 2005: Acquired by Sabre Holdings (NYSE: TSG)
- March 2006: Named one of the “Best Travel Sites” by Forbes magazine
- October 2006: Became a Travelocity emerging brand