Giovanna A. Garlati
Looking to Avoid Honeymooners? IgoUgo Unveils Ten Destinations Solo Travelers May Want to Skip
Solo travelers can conquer the world, and many don’t mind romantic destinations, but if you want to avoid all those happy couples here are some places you might want to miss
NEW YORK, Feb. 26, 2008
IgoUgo Top Ten Highlights
- While the destinations on this list are some of the most amazing in the world, IgoUgo editors found that some members noted them as less fun when traveling alone.
- Because these destinations are prime candidates for romantic getaways, some solo-traveling IgoUgo members prefer to avoid them.
- IgoUgo editors have created a solo travel blog with selected members’ best tips on how to have the greatest—and the safest—solo trip.
Ten Honeymoon Destinations Some Solo Travelers Skip
- Venice, Italy
- Quebec City, Canada
- Santorini, Greece
- Las Vegas
- Bazaruto Island, Mozambique
- Poconos, Pennsylvania
- St. Lucia
- Isla de Margarita, Venezuela
- Suzhou, China
Top Ten Tips from IgoUgo Solo Travelers
- Choose your destination wisely
- Do your research before your arrival
- Tell someone where you’re going
- Adhere to local customs for your safety
- Choose accommodations that welcome solo travelers
- Avoid establishments that cater to groups
- Use your single status to meet other travelers
- Join locals in everyday activities
- Banish loneliness with an organized tour
- Indulge in your favorite things
Attributed to Michelle Doucette, Content Editor at IgoUgo
- "Traveling solo is a rewarding experience. The key is knowing what you will – and won’t – enjoy, and going to the right places for you. IgoUgo offers you the tips of experienced solo travelers who’ve been everywhere and can help you make the most of your trip."
IgoUgo is one of the most popular online travel communities in the world. Its 350,000 members—world-seasoned and passionate travelers—share firsthand travel experiences, advice, and photos, with candid tips and inspiring stories covering more than 5,500 global destinations. Site users can search by keyword to find reviews by like-minded travelers, as well as destination guides and helpful links. Members can easily contact one another to ask questions, exchange information, and build friendships without geographic bounds. In return for writing reviews, IgoUgo members accrue valuable points redeemable for gift certificates and frequent-flyer miles. IgoUgo has garnered top industry honors, including being named one of Forbes’ “Best Travel Sites” in 2006, a Webby Award for “Best Travel Site in the U.S.,” a “Top Travel Site” ranking from USA Today, and “Best Travel Community” and “Top Travel Site” commendations from Yahoo Internet Life.