Giovanna A. Garlati
Going to Beijing This Summer? IgoUgo Has Insider Travel Tips
Make the most of your Beijing experience: enjoy the games and discover great local secrets.
NEW YORK, Feb. 19, 2008
- IgoUgo (http://www.igougo.com), a community of the world’s savviest travelers, has gathered firsthand tips and information on Beijing.
- IgoUgo’s China travelers share recommendations on how to get to Beijing, where to stay, and what’s worth seeing besides the games.
- Beijing will be invaded by masses of people this summer. The Beijing Municipal Bureau of Tourism estimates that more than 1.1 million people are expected to visit Beijing from August 8-24.
- There is no time to waste. If you want to go, book now.
- Use IgoUgo’s Beijing travel trips to find the best accommodations and the smartest ways to experience Beijing at its best. Some of IgoUgo members’ top tips include:
- Consider alternate (and sometimes cheaper!) routes to Beijing.
- Hotel rooms are limited: consider choosing a hotel located in a hutong neighborhood.
- Avoid crowded hotels altogether with a home stay.
- Embrace the capital’s public transportation.
- Pack a sense of adventure—and your own tissues. Most bathrooms don’t have them.
- Get a proper introduction to Beijing at the Temple of Heaven.
- Seek out your own Great Wall experience – there are countless variations.
- Enjoy at least one Peking Duck meal – it is Beijing’s signature dish.
- Take a breather from the hot and smoggy city at the Summer Palace.
- Shop where the locals shop – and catch at least one “real” market.
IgoUgo bonus tips
- Save some energy for Beijing by night. It is unforgettable.
- Eat street food at the night markets – if you have the stomach.
- Pamper yourself with the most affordable massages and haircuts of your life
- Get comfortable with lost translations. English translations of Chinese can be very amusing.
Attributed to Michelle Doucette, Content Editor at IgoUgo
- "Beijing is one of the most amazing places I have had the pleasure and honor to visit. Now is the perfect time to discover it."
- "The games will bring masses of tourists, but there are hundreds of ways to find alternative places to stay or to wander 'far from the madding crowd.'"
IgoUgo is one of the most popular online travel communities in the world. Its 350,000 members—world-seasoned and passionate travelers—share firsthand travel experiences, advice, and photos, with candid tips and inspiring stories covering more than 5,500 global destinations. Site users can search by keyword to find reviews by like-minded travelers, as well as destination guides and helpful links. Members can easily contact one another to ask questions, exchange information, and build friendships without geographic bounds. In return for writing reviews, IgoUgo members accrue valuable points redeemable for gift certificates and frequent-flyer miles. IgoUgo has garnered top industry honors, including being named one of Forbes’ “Best Travel Sites” in 2006, a Webby Award for “Best Travel Site in the U.S.,” a “Top Travel Site” ranking from USA Today, and “Best Travel Community” and “Top Travel Site” commendations from Yahoo Internet Life.